Saturday 16 January 2010

Good News / Bad News

So, the Michelin list for 2010 has managed to be leaked in time for the weekend papers again, someone at the Guardian wrote, what a surprise.

Still, I don't think it really matters if we find out today or next Tuesday so let's start by congratulating Paul and Katie at 21212 on their Michelin star, well deserved - come to think of it, didn't I predict they'd get a star when I reviewed 21212 in May? Oh, I did; well done me.

A glaring omission is Martin Wishart from the ranks of 2* holders, every meal I've had at Wisharts in the past few years has been consistently as good, if not better, than many 2*s I've eaten at (specifically Hibiscus and Pied A Terre - and I enjoyed them). Shame on you Michelin.

In other sad news, the Edinburgh outpost of Abstract will not reopen for 2010; I know Abstract lost it's joie de vivre when Sean Kelly left (for reasons and to destinations unknown - does anyone know where he went? He was a talented chap and I'd like to try his food again) and then became a glorified steak and chop house but the food was good quality and the service excellent.

To finish on an upbeat note, well done to Tony's Table in Castle St. for it's Bib Gourmand; it's also 3 minutes from my office so is very handy for good lunches and well done to the Peat Inn for it's star.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr Boyce,

    Thanks for your kind comments, after I left Abstract for reasons best unsaid I moved up to Monachyle Mhor Hotel in Perthshire which I have also recently left for similar reasons to Abstract. Its not easy finding an employer to back you in what you believe in (although James Stocks doesn't seem to have a problem!) My plan is to move back to Edinburgh if I can find the right thing. In the meantime thanks again and I will keep you posted.

    Sean Kelly

    ReplyDelete