Saturday 25 April 2009

Some people I like...

Just back from the local Farmer's Market (Haddington) and I thought I'd share some of my favourite producers:

  • Ballencrieff Pedigree Pigs - Peter and Elma grow rare breed Berkshire, Saddleback and Gloucester Old Spot naturally and you can tell by the taste, they have won rakes of awards for their bacon (my favourite is the unsmoked middle) and sausages and also supply me with the raw ingredients for my attempts at ham and sausage making. http://www.ballencrieffrppigs.co.uk/

  • Well Hung and Tender - Donald and Sarah farm wonderful Aberdeen Angus in the Scottish Borders, it's all well aged and grass fed leading to lots of Omega-3 fatty acids in the beef, so basically this beef is as good for you as oily fish (and while I like salmon, give me a ribeye anyday). Also Donald won a Nuffield scholarship to study beef and while I don't know exactly what that is, my best mate was awarded a medical Nuff. Scholarship and told me they were very prestigeous. http://www.wellhungandtender.co.uk/

  • J&M Craig, Briarneuk Nursery - Simply some lovely tomatos, many varieties with real flavour - try some and I doubt you'll ever want to have some of the tasteless, imported red pulp that you get in supermarkets. You can find the Craigs at Farmers Markets across Scotland.

  • Clark Bros. of Musselburgh and Eddie's Seafood Market of Marchmont - two brilliant fishmongers; both Clarks and Eddie's carry a wonderful range of fresh fish and seafood, live lobster and crab, frankly anything you want. They will also source specific orders if asked nicely. Whenever I go looking for something, I always leave laden with crab, oysters and lots of other goodies (hence myoysters followed by seabass with pea risotto last night). Clarks - 0131 665 6181 Eddies - 0131 229 4207

More to come as I think of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment